10 years ago, business was great and gas prices were at a low. I had the opportunity to travel across country with my dog for six weeks, discovering the United States from New Hampshire to California and back. As of January 2012, I will have done another road trip… not across country, but here in my home state, New Hampshire... with the same camping gear, the same dog, but for a different purpose.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cross Roads House

So far this week, I hadn't personally entered any of the shelter homes in New Hampshire.  I've only made some calls for availability and to gather information.  I had hoped to visit The Bridge House, the one and only shelter in New Hampshire that accepts pets (A recent document from a vet is needed for the pet to stay.).  Sydney and I were going to seek resources in the Plymouth area, but when I talked to the Director from the The Bridge House, I did not feel welcome.  She was direct, defensive, and assumed I was doing this project for reasons other than for personal interests.  I informed her twice that "This project is a personal project." She informed me that she has no time to look at my blog or write down my Website.  This is not the typical response that I've been receiving since I've started this project.  I asked her if she could at least explain the process for entering the shelter.  She briefly explained the paperwork process starts from the individual's town welfare office.  It seems like a lot of preparation work needs to be done before you can get help at this shelter.  I didn't know people had to plan ahead to stay at this shelter home.  What do you do when you have no place to go when you are in a desperate need for shelter?  Certainly, not Plymouth.  I will try and seek The Bridge House another time.


Cross Roads House
As my day became sidetracked, I had to make more calls and reroute.  I made a call to Portsmouth, NH.  I received a warm welcome to come to the Cross Roads House.  Being so???, Portsmouth we went.  What a Promise Land for those who are struggling.  Cross Roads was a five million dollar project for a new building that is now two years old that holds over 100+ beds!  Two-thirds of the Cross Roads House annual million dollar operating budget is privately funded.

During my tour of the House, I witness a food donation that came from a funeral reception.  A chafing dish with a hot meal complete from salads to desserts.  This donation could serve half of the residents of the House.

I met several individuals staying at this shelter.  Two of them are at the House due to injuries from accidents that lead to them losing their jobs, apartment and/or home, and are now trying to get back on their feet.  One is volunteering until she is well enough to join the job market.

Phase I  women's shelter in the Cross Roads House

Phase II women's shelter in the Cross Roads House

No comments:

Post a Comment