10 years ago, business was great and gas prices were at a low. I had the opportunity to travel across country with my dog for six weeks, discovering the United States from New Hampshire to California and back. As of January 2012, I will have done another road trip… not across country, but here in my home state, New Hampshire... with the same camping gear, the same dog, but for a different purpose.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Few Faces

Eight days of driving across New Hampshire into different towns and cities seeking resources for the less fortunate, is now over.  The project for me is done, but it hasn't changed for those I've met along the way. They are constantly trying to stay warm, find their next meal, and watch their back.  

I found it difficult to carry the camera around when I wanted to meet and gather stories from those that are trying to beat the odds.  I got just little pieces of each one's story, financial situation, and/or being homeless.  I didn't want to intimidate anyone in anyway with my camera. With vulnerability and uncertainty of the people I talked to, I decided to leave the camera in my truck.  If the situation allowed later on, I would ask permission before I even lifted the camera up to take off the lens cap.

There were just a few who were comfortable enough to allow me to take their picture.
Thanks goes out to each one of them!











Living on the streets isn't for anyone, but it sure is happening...
  
25% of those that are homeless are Veterans.  
The population of homeless children and young adults continues to increase.
Over 90% of homeless women have reported being sexually assaulted.  

1 comment:

  1. Excellent report Amy. Your project "Road to Recession" gave me a good birdseye view of what the homeless have to contend with in keeping themselves safe, warm, fed and find a place to sleep.
    Through the interviews,I learned that those who find themselves homeless are not your stereotype of yesterday. Sure, we still have those strung out on drugs and alcohol and those who are mentally ill and prefer to live on the street. But it appears that so many have found themselves homeless by circumstances and want to climb out of that dark hole and become productive citizens again. Walking with you through your blogs painted a good picture for me as to what resources such as soup kitchens,food pantries and shelters are available to those without a home. I was surprised at how much money can be raised by panhandling and for some, it is the road back to living a normal life. I thought it odd that MPD would not allow you to attempt panhandling, knowing that you were working this project, yet Nashua simply let you go about your business.
    Great job Amy! I will miss your daily blogs.

    ReplyDelete