10 years ago, business was great and gas prices were at a low. I had the opportunity to travel across country with my dog for six weeks, discovering the United States from New Hampshire to California and back. As of January 2012, I will have done another road trip… not across country, but here in my home state, New Hampshire... with the same camping gear, the same dog, but for a different purpose.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Meet "Mom and Pop"

I went into Veteran's Park off Elm Street in Manchester late morning and Sydney was the "ice breaker".  I heard a woman ask me, "Is your dog an Australian Shepherd?  As Sydney pulls me with the leash to go say hello to a new friend, I said, "Yes, she is."  Immediately, this woman smiled and stretched her arm out to greet Sydney.  This woman was sitting on a park bench along side her husband.  I have been told to call them, "Mom and Pop".  My dog, Sydney, was great comfort to them which allowed me to introduce myself and ask them questions about "living on the streets".  Another man, Richard, was there and all three of them live under the bridge in Manchester.  One of the questions I asked:  "Have you seen an increase in Homelessness in Manchester?"  They quickly responded with "Yes".  They have seen it at least triple in number since 2007.  Their concerns mainly with the increasing number of children and teenagers being homeless.  During our conversation, a vehicle pulled off Elm Street and stopped in front of us.  Richard went over to the car and was handed a plate of cookies wrapped in Christmas decorated Reynolds wrap.  Sydney sniffed the package and "Mom" offered me a cookie.  I asked:  "Does this happen often?"  They all answered with a smile, "yes".  Richard said, "The community here a very generous".  We receive things year round without even asking.



I'm truly grateful to be able to hear homeless people's stories and witness the little things people do for those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment