10 years ago, business was great and gas prices were at a low. I had the opportunity to travel across country with my dog for six weeks, discovering the United States from New Hampshire to California and back. As of January 2012, I will have done another road trip… not across country, but here in my home state, New Hampshire... with the same camping gear, the same dog, but for a different purpose.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Don't go Homeless on a Holiday

Wow, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find breakfast this morning.  Manchester's shelter home, New Horizons, only serves breakfast to their overnight clients (at 5:30AM).  I called around to local food pantries, transitional shelters, and soup kitchens for places to find a morning meal and all I got was an answering machine or "the one I need to talk isn't in today due to the holiday".  If I can't get something to eat through community resources, what do I do next?  OK, there's dumpster diving, but why not panhandling? To avoid the possibility of being arrested and having to request bail money from all my followers, I figured I better inform the Manchester Police Department.  I went to the department and talked to the receptionist and she said "it shouldn't be a problem, just give us documentation about your project, and let us know when and where you plan on doing it."  So, when I went back to give her my information about the project, I was greeted by the lieutenant on duty to inform me they would not allow me to panhandle legally.  The police officer informed me it's becoming a real problem.  Panhandlers are being arrested.  It's "disrupting the flow of traffic" when they are at cross roads, stop lights, and stepping into roadways asking for money.  MPD finds this an increasing problem and has been taking police officers away from other important issue in the city.  Did you know panhandlers make about $200 dollars a day off South Willow Street in Manchester?  That's less than eight hours of begging and not having to pay the IRS.  Just don't get arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment