10 years ago, business was great and gas prices were at a low. I had the opportunity to travel across country with my dog for six weeks, discovering the United States from New Hampshire to California and back. As of January 2012, I will have done another road trip… not across country, but here in my home state, New Hampshire... with the same camping gear, the same dog, but for a different purpose.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Project Update

Two initial ideas for this project didn’t make it off the table.

1. I wanted to incorporate couponing into this project, but unfortunately I didn’t find food manufacturers interested in supporting the idea of “eating healthy” on a low budget. With the assistance of Extreme Coupon Professors, my request for specific food manufacturers to support “healthy eating” on a low budget never came through and I didn’t even get one coupon. Well, has my theory proven true? Is there minimal support on preventive care and healthy eating options from food manufacturers? Is it true... greed vs. healthy feed? More profit in the pockets of food manufactures without the concerns for a healthier society? Something to think about… The project had to change.

2. I stated I would “live in the world of the homeless”. Authorities have advised me not to live in the world of the homeless for safety reasons. Also, why take up a room in a shelter home when there is someone who is in real hardship? The shelters are challenged enough trying to support those who walk through for the night. Shelter homes throughout NH will have to be visited without the overnight experience. I will be visiting shelter homes during the day, gathering information, and documenting the experience.

What I hope to seek from this personal project:

As I stated earlier, "Within this trip, I will find out what shelter homes and food pantries have on their shelves after the holidays.” What types of foods are being served? Are dietary needs being met? I’ll be traveling throughout NH to discover what NH communities are doing for those individuals and families that are struggling to get by each day as they try to get back on their feet. I will seek resources and data to help pave the way for those who are in need for temporary assistance and help charitable organizations get the support they aspire to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment